PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » ‘High-level’ offender refused bail

‘High-level’ offender refused bail

A Pakenham man with a long history of family violence has been refused bail after a series of violent, jealous threats and break-ins at his ex-partner’s house.

The man faced 20 charges including persistently breaching a full intervention order protecting the ex-partner over nine days in January, a Dandenong Magistrates’ Court bail hearing was told.

In defiance of the order, he’d stayed over at her home, sent obscene texts and threats to kill her, and repeatedly checked there were no other men in her house.

The partner felt “physically ill” during the barrage of threats, police told the court.

Twice, he broke into her home. On the last occasion, as she called triple-0, he kicked in the front door.

The force splintered the door frame and sent the door lock flying across the room, the court heard.

He damaged her fingernail as he snatched away her phone and fled from the house.

At the time, the man was already facing two charges of breaching an intervention order protecting the same victim, the court heard.

He had been charged on summons and released by police on both occasions.

In opposing bail on 21 January, police argued that the man’s “constant and escalating” offending was an unacceptable risk to the ex-partner’s safety.

The man argued that he was financially supporting two children with another ex-partner through long hours of factory work.

“I do not want to lose my house, my kids and my car,” he told the court.

Magistrate Tony Burns noted the man’s 11 pages of prior convictions, including breaching an intervention order, indecent assault and stalking as well as weapons and assault offences.

The man was a “high level family violence offender” subject to 13 previous reports of family violence to police, and 11 intervention orders.

In refusing bail, Mr Burns noted the man’s prior violence and ignoring of intervention orders.

The man had failed to show compelling reasons for his release and was an unacceptable risk to the victim’s safety, Mr Burns said.

He was remanded to appear at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 17 February.

 

Digital Editions


  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning…

More News

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • Yakkerboo excites in 50th year

    Yakkerboo excites in 50th year

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533858 Yakkerboo was welcomed into its 50th year with another successful celebration, bigger than ever. Drawing families and visitors for a weekend of celebration,…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Lions reach the pointy end

    Lions reach the pointy end

    PAKENHAM BOWLS SATURDAY The 14th and final home and away round of the 2025/26 Weekend Pennant season was played last Saturday. Pakenham One (Div 1), seventh on the ladder, had…

  • Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 Cardinia rebounded in a big way and pushed Pakenham’s season to the brink on day one of round 13 in the Casey Cardinia…