Supermarket worker tests positive

A Woolworths supermarket worker in Officer has tested positive for coronavirus.

By Jessica Anstice

A Woolworths supermarket worker in Officer tested positive for coronavirus on Tuesday 14 July.

The team member was working on Saturday 4 July from 9am to 2pm at Arena Shopping Centre and did not present with any symptoms of illness at the time. They are now in self-isolation.

In a notice to customers at the front entrance, Woolworths stated that the store already has high standards of cleaning and hygiene in place.

As an extra precautionary measure, the store was closed overnight and underwent a detailed deep clean on Tuesday 14 July.

“The wellbeing of our customers, team and communities is our highest priority, and in line with the public health advice, we are taking all necessary steps to ensure ongoing safety in our stores,” the statement read.

“If you have been shopping in our store since Saturday 4 July and become unwell in the next two weeks please contact the Department of Health hotline.”

The large supermarket chain has special Covid-19 leave top-up provisions in place to ensure no team members will be financially disadvantaged based on their employment status or availability of personal leave if they contract the virus or are required to self-isolate.

“We’re making contact with our Officer Arena team members and will provide our full support to those required to self-isolate in line with advice from the health authorities,” a Woolworths spokesperson said.

“While the risk of transmission to customers and team members is low, the safety and wellbeing of the local community is our priority.

“Customers and team members should be assured they can continue to safely shop and work at our Officer Arena supermarket.”

A St Francis Xavier College student from the Beaconsfield campus also tested positive for the virus.

The senior student – who does not having siblings attending the school – was infectious while at school on Wednesday 24 and Thursday 25 June.

The Beaconsfield campus was closed from 9 to 11 July for a thorough clean and reopened on Monday 13 July.

Train testing at the Pakenham East Train Maintenance Depot in Nar Nar Goon was brought to a halt after two employees returned a positive test.

The first staff member tested positive on Friday 3 July and worked one shift while infectious.

The second employee tested positive on Monday 6 July and is also understood to have worked a shift but was non symptomatic at the time.

Around 160 staff members – who had been onsite since 19 July – were tested.

Over in Warragul, staff at West Gippsland Hospital will be tested as a precautionary measure after an employee tested positive.

Hospital CEO Dan Weeks said the employee had been following all the correct procedures and hadn’t been at work since Saturday 4 July.

As of Tuesday 14 July, eight active cases of coronavirus were recorded in the Cardinia Shire, while Casey detected 29 and Baw Baw three.

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.