PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » Gas appliance warning after six hospitalised

Gas appliance warning after six hospitalised

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) is warning people not to use outdoor heating appliances to keep their homes warm through a particularly cold Victorian winter, following a carbon monoxide incident.

Six people, including two children, have been hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms in western Sydney.

Reports suggests the victims had been trying to heat a granny flat by using a charcoal-fuelled barbecue.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in serious health issues and even death.

ESV chairperson Marnie Williams said the incident serves as a timely reminder that outdoor gas appliances, such as patio heaters and gas or charcoal-based barbecues, should not be used indoors.

“It is cold and people need to stay warm but never use outdoor gas appliances in your house or an enclosed area,” Ms Williams said.

“Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can present like the flu or Covid-19, but can very quickly become fatal.”

In Victoria, the Coroners Court is currently investigating the death of an elderly woman who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping in her van at Cohuna in the state’s north in late February.

ESV recently provided a report that will form part of the Coronial brief of evidence.

Victorians should always follow health and safety instructions provided with a gas appliance, and operate them only as intended by the manufacturer.

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are typically similar to the flu or Covid-19, including headaches, tiredness, dizziness or nausea.

In more severe cases, confusion, shortness of breath or chest pain can be symptoms and very high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal.

ESV has been advising the community on the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning for more than a decade, most recently with it’s Be Sure campaign.

For more information go to esv.vic.gov.au/carbonmonoxide

Digital Editions


More News

  • Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    A Doveton man and a Berwick man have been charged following an alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South during the early morning of Wednesday 4 February. South Metro…

  • Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Local families in Cardinia and the Yarra Ranges were both confused and upset by sudden school closures on Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 February. A statewide policy that informs what…

  • Thieves exploit road closures

    Thieves exploit road closures

    At a time when local businesses say their livelihoods are under threat from Big Build road closures, one has fallen victim to a costly burglary. Cardinia Crime Investigation unit detectives…

  • Champs, chats and chokes

    Champs, chats and chokes

    DAVE: Good morning boys, what a massive week of sport; we’ve a had a Pro-Am series through West Gippsland, the Woolamai Cup was on, Country Week has begun, and then…

  • New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 429633 Ratepayers facing hardship are expected not to be charged interest on deferred rates under new State rules. Casey has confirmed that it already…