PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » School bomb threats alarming

School bomb threats alarming

By KATHRYN BERMINGHAM AND ANEEKA SIMONIS

A PAKENHAM primary school was targeted in a second wave of bomb threats this week, as part of a hoax affecting schools around the world.
St Patrick’s Primary School activated evacuation procedures on the afternoon of Tuesday 2 February, after a threatening call was received.
Pakenham Sergeant Darren Shaw told the Pakenham News that the threat was delivered through an automated message in a phone call answered by a staff member at 12.05pm.
The message detailed that a bomb located on the school premises would be detonated in 30 minutes.
Staff immediately activated evacuation procedures, and children were ushered across Princes Highway onto the oval of Pakenham Secondary College.
Police blocked all entrances to the school while a total of eight units conducted a search.
Feverish parents were spotted running from their cars to pick up children from the evacuation zone, while others were seen flagging down police, concerned with traffic blockages along the highway.
Donna Singh, a mum of two students in Prep and Year 2, said she was in a rush to pick up her kids after learning the news of a threat.
“I was pretty scared at first. And then I had to try and find a car park and get over to them as quick as possible,” she explained.
“Several parents have been really upset. They’ve driven past and seen what’s happening or are getting alerts on Facebook when they are at work, or outside the area.”
Casey Merrigan, another parent of two students, praised the actions of staff in keeping the students calm.
“As a parent of two of the kids from St Pat’s – I have to say what an incredible job St Pat’s staff and the police did in managing to keep the students calm and maintaining procedures to keep all of our kids comfortable and safe,” she commented on Facebook.
The school was eventually given the all-clear and returned to their usual school day.
Nearby Kooweerup Primary School was also evacuated on Tuesday due to a similar threat, and Berwick Chase and Berwick Lodge primary schools activated emergency procedures following phone calls last Friday 29 January.
A number of other schools in the wider Melbourne area, interstate and internationally were reported to have received similar phone calls, but a Victoria Police spokesperson said last week that threats were being treated as “a hoax” and were not being treated as “terrorism related.”

Digital Editions


  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning…

More News

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • Yakkerboo excites in 50th year

    Yakkerboo excites in 50th year

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533858 Yakkerboo was welcomed into its 50th year with another successful celebration, bigger than ever. Drawing families and visitors for a weekend of celebration,…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Lions reach the pointy end

    Lions reach the pointy end

    PAKENHAM BOWLS SATURDAY The 14th and final home and away round of the 2025/26 Weekend Pennant season was played last Saturday. Pakenham One (Div 1), seventh on the ladder, had…

  • Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 Cardinia rebounded in a big way and pushed Pakenham’s season to the brink on day one of round 13 in the Casey Cardinia…