PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » Terror ride mental probe

Terror ride mental probe

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

A PAKENHAM man who threatened to drive himself and his family over an embankment during a frightening, erratic drive in the Dandenong Ranges has been ordered to undergo a mental health community treatment order.
Dandenong Magistrates’ Court was told the man had confronted his wife of 10 years with a kitchen knife on 22 April as she visited her sister-in-law to talk about her marriage problems.
The man threatened to stab her, verbally abused her, slapped her in the face and punched her before family members intervened.
The next morning, he grabbed her out of bed by her hair and placed a kitchen knife against her throat.
He warned other family members not to ring police or he would stab her.
As his wife sat on a couch, he punched her in the mouth, cutting and severely swelling her lip.
He played down the incident to police outside, diverting them from speaking to his wife.
He then drove his wife and three children into the Dandenongs, in the meantime punching, threatening and verbally abusing his wife.
The car veered over gutters and swerved near parked vehicles.
At one point the man told his family he would drive over the edge of a nearby embankment.
In Monbulk, he threatened to kill her as he held a jack-handle and chased her around their car.
The wife was assisted by passing motorists.
The man’s lawyer told the court on Tuesday that his client had been acting beforehand in a “bizarre manner” due to an undiagnosed, untreated bipolar disorder.
During his time in custody, he had taken his clothes off in the rain and washed himself in the toilet.
“He realises the impact he’s had on (his wife) and the children.
“That was quite devastating to him to see his children were quite affected by this.”
According to a psychiatrist’s report, the man’s chances of rehabilitation were excellent and his risk of reoffending was low.
Magistrate Jack Vandersteen said the Pakenham man had been punished enough – having served 70 days in remand and 21 days as an involuntary hospital patient.
“I’m not going to impose unpaid community work… now it’s time to concentrate on your treatment and rehabilitation.”
The man’s wife, who had been twice threatened at knife-point by the man, and his three children are separated from him and protected by an intervention order.
“I feel very much for your family for what you subject them to,” Mr Vandersteen said, noting the children would have been “absolutely terrified”.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…

  • Titans trump Panthers to jump into second on the ladder

    Titans trump Panthers to jump into second on the ladder

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 512656 Garfield/Tynong (7/209) gave itself a massive boost by comfortably disposing of Yarragon (122) on day two of round 13 in WDCA Division 2.…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • A glimpse back through the archives

    A glimpse back through the archives

    50 years to 1976 The clock was turned back more than 100 years at the Police Paddocks in Rowville when, as a salute to the state’s pioneer police, a Memorial…

  • Casey’s cellular mapping tool exposes mobile coverage caps in the region

    Casey’s cellular mapping tool exposes mobile coverage caps in the region

    At a time when much of the world is heavily dependent on mobile and digital services, Casey’s new cellular mapping tool launched in early February, highlights major coverage gaps in…