PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » Officers make train station safer

Officers make train station safer

NARRE Warren residents could feel safer when they catch the train at night with Protective Service Officers (PSOs) patrolling the area.
PSOs starting patrolling the Narre Warren Railway Station on Monday and will be there every night of the week.
They have the powers to detain anyone who threatens public safety, confiscate weapons and issue fines and are also trained in conflict resolution and dealing with vulnerable people.
South Eastern Metropolitan Region MP Inga Peulich said people who use Narre Warren station would benefit from the PSO’s presence.
“We know the majority of people who use Narre Warren station are there to get on a train, not cause trouble,” Ms Peulich said.
“Unfortunately, there are trouble-makers out there who make people feel unsafe. The deployment of PSOs to the station from 6pm every night will change that.”
Ms Peulich said PSOs have been working on the public transport network since February 2012, with 362 now deployed across 50 stations from 6pm until after the last train at night.
“Since the first deployment in February last year to December 2012, Victoria Police made almost 1400 arrests as a result of the work of PSOs,” she said.
“Through their work in calming threatening situations and neutralising conflict, they are making the community feel safer through the deterrent effect that their presence brings.”
The training course for PSO recruits is 12 weeks long and includes the same level of Operational Tactics and Safety Training as police, including the same firearms and defensive skills’ training.
This training also includes dealing with vulnerable people and people in a drunk or drug-affected state, plus initial exposure to the job under the supervision of Victorian Transit Police.
Police and Emergency Services Minister Kim Wells said the Victorian Coalition Government had committed to recruiting and deploying 940 PSOs to the rail network as part of a $212 million investment, by November 2014.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    A Doveton man and a Berwick man have been charged following an alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South during the early morning of Wednesday 4 February. South Metro…

  • Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Local families in Cardinia and the Yarra Ranges were both confused and upset by sudden school closures on Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 February. A statewide policy that informs what…

  • Thieves exploit road closures

    Thieves exploit road closures

    At a time when local businesses say their livelihoods are under threat from Big Build road closures, one has fallen victim to a costly burglary. Cardinia Crime Investigation unit detectives…

  • Champs, chats and chokes

    Champs, chats and chokes

    DAVE: Good morning boys, what a massive week of sport; we’ve a had a Pro-Am series through West Gippsland, the Woolamai Cup was on, Country Week has begun, and then…

  • New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 429633 Ratepayers facing hardship are expected not to be charged interest on deferred rates under new State rules. Casey has confirmed that it already…