PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » Two stabbed when party turns ugly

Two stabbed when party turns ugly

POLICE used capsicum spray to subdue a violent brawl in Doveton on Sunday after machetes, baseball bats and knives were produced by the crowd.
More than 100 youths watched and took part in the altercation, with two teenage boys suffering stab wounds and later being taken to Dandenong Hospital for treatment.
Sergeant John Blackburn of Endeavour Hills police said the brawl broke out in Oak Avenue Reserve, Doveton, about 1.45am following a night of parties and fights in the Endeavour Hills area.
He said police broke up an 18th birthday party in Monkhouse Drive, Endeavour Hills, shortly after 10pm on Saturday when gatecrashers attended, and police believe many of these teenagers had later travelled to Doveton.
Acting Sergeant Greg Lee attended the party and said there were between 70 and 100 young partygoers.
But Acting Sgt Lee praised the party holder’s parents for registering the party with the station and said this had made the police response much easier.
“When the call came up on the air we saw that the party was registered and could ring up the family and ask exactly what was happening,” he said.
After the party ended Acting Sgt Lee said many of the youths walked to a nearby McDonald’s and congregated there until a fight broke out.
“McDonald’s called and said youths were causing problems and police then attended,” he said.
Sgt Blackburn said many parties had been held in the Endeavour Hills and Doveton area on Saturday night and quite a few had been registered with police.
“That was excellent as at least we were able to call and communicate quickly with the families,” he said.
However, following the recent spate of incidents Sgt Blackburn said it was hard to see the value of hosting 16th and 18th birthday parties at home.
“It is unfortunate, but they seem to be more trouble then they are worth,” he said.
“If they can, people should try to keep their parties as small as possible. But it seems to be a bit of a popularity contest to see who can invite the most people.
“Teenagers need to also understand that if they are not invited they are not meant to be there,” he said.
Sgt Blackburn said local liquor outlets had been very cooperative and were aware of the consequences of selling liquor to under-aged people.
“Parties and this incident took up a majority of police resources on Saturday night.
“It took one hour to clear out the brawl and the function was not registered with the party safe register,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    A Doveton man and a Berwick man have been charged following an alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South during the early morning of Wednesday 4 February. South Metro…

  • Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Local families in Cardinia and the Yarra Ranges were both confused and upset by sudden school closures on Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 February. A statewide policy that informs what…

  • Thieves exploit road closures

    Thieves exploit road closures

    At a time when local businesses say their livelihoods are under threat from Big Build road closures, one has fallen victim to a costly burglary. Cardinia Crime Investigation unit detectives…

  • Champs, chats and chokes

    Champs, chats and chokes

    DAVE: Good morning boys, what a massive week of sport; we’ve a had a Pro-Am series through West Gippsland, the Woolamai Cup was on, Country Week has begun, and then…

  • New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 429633 Ratepayers facing hardship are expected not to be charged interest on deferred rates under new State rules. Casey has confirmed that it already…