PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » Boost with best start funds

Boost with best start funds

By Paul Dunlop
CHILDREN’S services in and around Pakenham will receive an $800,000 boost over four years in a bid to ensure the best possible start in life.
The funding will be used to bolster early childhood development programs and increase support for parents in a bid to improve children’s education, health, behaviour and well being.
State Minister for Children, Sheryl Garbutt, announced the funding yesterday (Wednesday) at a gathering of Cardinia Shire Council officials and local service providers at the Cardinia Cultural Centre.
Ms Garbutt said the Best Start program aimed to improve the health, development, learning and wellbeing of children from pre-natal to primary school age.
She said Cardinia Shire had been chosen as a priority site because of its rapid growth.
Ms Garbutt said the program would provide parents with better access to support and health services and aimed to make the parenting experience more enjoyable
Best Start aims to:
RESULT in better access to child and family support, health services and early education
IMPROVE the capacity and confidence of parents to be, parents and families to care for children and help them to enjoy parenting
ASSIST communities to become more child friendly.
“Our intention is to make sure every child has the best possible start to life,” Ms Garbutt said.
“We want people to enjoy childhood and family life, it is supposed to be fun. We want children to make the most of their precious childhood years.”
The funding announcement was welcomed by Cardinia chief executive officer Don Welsh who said it was wonderful news.
He said supporting the rapidly growing young population was among the council’s highest priorities.
Mr Welsh said the council was under unprecedented pressure in terms of providing facilities for young families, particularly in the growth areas around Pakenham, Officer and Beaconsfield.
He said studies had shown that the local community and other interface areas around Melbourne’s outskirts had a higher than average number of parents with post-natal depression and intervention orders.
He said these “sobering” indicators, coupled with expectations that Pakenham’s population of children aged 0-4 years old would more than double in the next 20 years, highlighted the need for programs such as Best Start.
“This is a wonderful opportunity to extend our partnerships with service providers,” Mr Welsh said.
He paid tribute to the State Government for its continuing support.
Gembrook MP Tammy Lobato said she had seen the Best Start program work successfully in other communities.
Service providers also welcomed the announcement, saying early intervention and things such as improved education, health care, nutrition and care giving — all aims of Best Start — were vital for a child’s wellbeing.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    A Doveton man and a Berwick man have been charged following an alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South during the early morning of Wednesday 4 February. South Metro…

  • Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Local families in Cardinia and the Yarra Ranges were both confused and upset by sudden school closures on Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 February. A statewide policy that informs what…

  • Thieves exploit road closures

    Thieves exploit road closures

    At a time when local businesses say their livelihoods are under threat from Big Build road closures, one has fallen victim to a costly burglary. Cardinia Crime Investigation unit detectives…

  • Champs, chats and chokes

    Champs, chats and chokes

    DAVE: Good morning boys, what a massive week of sport; we’ve a had a Pro-Am series through West Gippsland, the Woolamai Cup was on, Country Week has begun, and then…

  • New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 429633 Ratepayers facing hardship are expected not to be charged interest on deferred rates under new State rules. Casey has confirmed that it already…