PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » $13 million machete amnesty ends

$13 million machete amnesty ends

The controversial $13 million machete amnesty has ended, with authorities warning anyone caught with the banned weapon could face up to two years imprisonment or a fine over $47,000.

A Department of Justice and Community Safety spokesperson is pleased the amnesty drew an overwhelming public response.

“Throughout the machete amnesty, the Victorian community has stepped up and helped get thousands of these dangerous and now banned weapons off our streets,” the spokesperson said.

“As of 21 November, more than 14,000 machetes and other knives have been surrendered – that includes nearly 9000 placed in machete safe disposal bins and surrendered over the counter at police stations, and more than 5000 handed in by retailers.”

Department told the Gazette that a final tally of surrendered machetes and other knives will be released in the coming weeks, but totals for specific machete safe disposal bins are not available.

The amnesty, part of the state’s new machete ban introduced in September, allowed people to anonymously surrender prohibited weapons at more than 40 police stations across Victoria, including Pakenham, Dandenong and Cranbourne.

Retailers were also required to remove machetes from sale, with the Machete Taskforce stepping up inspections and monitoring online marketplaces.

The Labor Government maintains the ban is helping reduce access to high-risk weapons, building on expanded stop-and-search powers and tougher laws for knife-related offending.

Despite these measures, knife crime remains a key concern for police, schools, businesses and the community.

This follows several high-profile incidents across Melbourne, alongside a rise in prohibited and controlled weapons offences recorded by the Crime Statistics Agency.

Critics argue the number of weapons surrendered does not guarantee improved safety.

Berwick MP Brad Battin previously said the real measure of success is whether knife-related assaults and injuries fall.

“The number of weapons surrendered is immaterial if people are still being assaulted in their homes and on our streets,” he said.

“We need to change the existing culture from ’anything goes’ to ’consequences for your actions’.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    Two charged after alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South

    A Doveton man and a Berwick man have been charged following an alleged armed home invasion in Narre Warren South during the early morning of Wednesday 4 February. South Metro…

  • Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Bushfire register creates summer headache for schools

    Local families in Cardinia and the Yarra Ranges were both confused and upset by sudden school closures on Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 February. A statewide policy that informs what…

  • Thieves exploit road closures

    Thieves exploit road closures

    At a time when local businesses say their livelihoods are under threat from Big Build road closures, one has fallen victim to a costly burglary. Cardinia Crime Investigation unit detectives…

  • Champs, chats and chokes

    Champs, chats and chokes

    DAVE: Good morning boys, what a massive week of sport; we’ve a had a Pro-Am series through West Gippsland, the Woolamai Cup was on, Country Week has begun, and then…

  • New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    New rules ban interest on hardship-deferred rates

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 429633 Ratepayers facing hardship are expected not to be charged interest on deferred rates under new State rules. Casey has confirmed that it already…