PAKENHAM OFFICER STAR NEWS
Home » NBN priority: onus on users

NBN priority: onus on users

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

THE Narre Warren South community is being called upon to justify why their suburb should be prioritised for the next NBN rollout.
NBN Co has asked Narre Warren South residents to prove why their area should be included in the next priority rollout announcement, after the organisation met with Liberal MP Jason Wood and Casey Council representatives late last year. Individual case studies to justify a priority announcemnent have been requested.
The meeting follows an extensive campaign run by Narre Warren South resident and IT worker Steve Barnes, whose family has been battling with sub-standard internet for more than a decade. He has been advocating for a better service over the past 11 years.
The meeting came after NBN Co announced its latest rollout plan, for which Narre Warren South was overlooked.
Additional NBN construction plans were confirmed for 80 other cities, suburbs and towns across Victoria up to June 2016.
An NBN Co spokesperson would not indicate whether Narre Warren South would be listed in the next rollout announcement after mid-2016, but said the company would continue to “work with the City of Casey”.
“While we would like to connect everyone at the same time, we are constrained by both economic and physical resource limitations,” the spokesperson said.
“As a result, we must build the network in stages and in an efficient, systematic manner.
“We are working hard to do this as quickly as possible and at least cost to Australians.
“Ultimately, Narre Warren South will not miss out.”
Mr Barnes was able to have ADSL installed to his home roughly seven years ago when Telstra temporarily lowered its service threshold but it still operates at an incredibly slow speed compared to other suburbs.
If his children want to use the internet at the same time as he was using it, Mr Barnes, who operates from home, finds it almost impossible to use the web for work.
A spokesperson for La Trobe MP Jason Wood has urged each Narre Warren South household with internet issues to submit their individual case studies, calling especially on those people who run a business from their home.
In September last year, Federal Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull fielded questions from disgruntled Narre Warren South residents at a special NBN forum convened by Mr Wood.
When asked by Mr Barnes at the time about the suburb’s sluggish broadband, Mr Turnbull said the previous Labor Government had entered into NBN contracts for areas that were already well served with broadband.
“Unfortunately, as you can imagine, these construction contracts have been set out a long time ago and so there is still work going on,” Mr Turnbull had said.
“We had to keep, for contractual and other reasons, the project moving along. And there are no doubt some areas which are contracted a long time ago, where fibre is being rolled out which would never have been part of our plan.”
For more information and to submit a case study, visit Mr Barnes’ website at www.nbn4nws.asn.au.

Digital Editions


  • Another successful fest of Upper Beaconsfield

    Another successful fest of Upper Beaconsfield

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534711 The Upper Beaconsfield Village Festival celebrated another year of community spirit and friendly competition. Held in perfect sunny…

More News

  • Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 Cardinia rebounded in a big way and pushed Pakenham’s season to the brink on day one of round 13 in the Casey Cardinia…

  • O’Sullivan joy at Garfield

    O’Sullivan joy at Garfield

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520670 GARFIELD GOLF There were a few drops of rain prior to Thursday’s par event but that didn’t stop a sizable field of 95…

  • Who wants fourth spot?

    Who wants fourth spot?

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533221 The ladder in the Warragul and District Cricket Association (WDCA) Division 1 competition could not be any closer as the fight for fourth…

  • Masters get on the board

    Masters get on the board

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531164 PREMIER FIRSTS It was a Thursday night thriller that had everything — big hits, momentum swings and a finish that kept supporters on…

  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde go back-and-forth on day one…

  • The many joys of farming

    The many joys of farming

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 526003 Labertouche dairy farmers Mark and Trish Hammond certainly do not make it easy on themselves when it comes to being on the land,…

  • NextGen levels up

    NextGen levels up

    A fresh year brings fresh opportunities for local youth. Farm owners Amanda and Chris are opening a new Pakenham hub to support young people, while continuing to offer the unique…

  • Community garden forging connections at Five Farms in Clyde North

    Community garden forging connections at Five Farms in Clyde North

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531484 A new communal garden at Frasers Property Australia’s Five Farms in Clyde North has quickly become a bustling heart of the community. Located…

  • New threatened species facility opens at Moonlit Sanctuary

    New threatened species facility opens at Moonlit Sanctuary

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531518 Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park in Pearcedale officially unveiled its new purpose-built Aquatic Fauna Conservation Facility on Tuesday 10 February. The opening, conducted…

  • Melbourne set to take on North Melbourne in Casey Fields practice match

    Melbourne set to take on North Melbourne in Casey Fields practice match

    Local AFL fanatics are in for a treat, as Casey Fields will take centre stage when Melbourne takes on North Melbourne in a practice match bringing elite AFL action to…